Sunday, April 19, 2009

Not a happy mommy

Yesterday when I put Carter down for his nap, he was not happy. Lately we've been having him whine it out for 15-20 minutes before we get him out. After 20 minutes I went to check on him. He was chewing on his crib. There were not just bit marks on the railing, but large portions of varnish missing. I was so mad! (and not that I can even really be mad at him, just the situation) So I calmly pick him up to go get all the varnish chips cleaned off his face and clothing.
He then decides to throw a tandrum. Being this is new territory for us, I really haven't read up much on how to deal with tantrums. Using what I know from a few episodes of Super Nanny, I decide to put him in the pack and play to finish his tantrum so he doesn't hurt himself. After a few minutes, I calmly pick the still somewhat screaming baby. He starts to calm down as I rock him and then falls asleep to take the nap that he needed before the whole process started.
I guess I handled it pretty well. I know I'll be dealing with tantrums more frequently and I need to get my plan of action so that we can parent with some consistancy. Any parenting tips?

2 comments:

The Straka's said...

At this age...ignoring the behavior and turning away and not looking/acknowledging it works the best. Although, it was smart to put him in the pack and play until he was done! Bravo!

Jen said...

Good, I probably didn't screw hin up too much!